Friday, January 17, 2014

Writing With Nothing to Say


Not really anything has been going on so I just haven't had anything to write. My life is mostly boring; I like it that way. I got my excitement when I was young. And if I need drama there is my soap opera--he he he.
Had an issue with the dogs last week, well, a week and a half now, I think. I don't know what happened to start it but all three wound up in a brawl. It is not fun separating three large fighting dogs. Both Ron and I got bit. Angus needs to be kept apart from the other two. He spends most of his time apart from them anyway so it isn't that hard to deal with.
Yesterday afternoon I typed this out in an email to a friend about what has been going on and I am just going to copy and paste it here because other than the dog fight, really nothing has been going on, too cold.
In my town (the place I live not the town we go to the store at) there is a property going up for auction for tax issues. A lot of talk about it for many reasons but mostly it is sort of a prime property except the dude has a pile of old roofing that is twice the size of my house that the EPA now knows about and so has to be cleaned up, properly; it is going to be costly. Still, it has a *really* good spring on it that has never in memory stopped. During the big droughts in the 30’s it was the only spring still flowing and everybody would take turns driving their cattle to it in a day; it kept everybody's cattle alive right around here when others were dying  for lack of water all over the place. The guy that had the place is a real ass. We are friendly with his parents; his dad won’t talk to him though his mom still does. He has 3 kids that won’t have anything to do with him. Because of him another guy we are friendly with is going to prison for 3 years (probably to keep his son from going) and he isn’t going to survive it, he doesn’t have 3 years left in him. I don’t remember what started it but the ass decided to call the cops on the other guys for something stupid and then it was discovered that the backhoe they had had for 15 or so years had been stolen from the state or something 18 years ago--my years are a little fuzzy but they bought it stolen, they did not steal it, and have had it for quite some time; we have been here 13 years and they had it when we moved here. I am thinking how that turned out might have a bit to do with the guy bailing on his place here and moving to Springfield. It might be a bit bad for his health for him to stay.
The only other thing I can think of is the brother of the woman that lives up the hill stopped by on his way to go get the truck of a neighbor that was supposed to be on the hill with the cemetery. It was a good thing I saw him and started talking to him, Ron wound up giving him a ride because it was still close to a mile to go and it was not on cemetery hill; it was on the paved hill--which made much more sense. You see, the truck’s owner’s grandson had been driving it and had been taken to jail the night before. I thought they must have wanted him pretty bad to get him at cemetery hill--the cops almost never leave pavement. He was pulled over on pavement and managed to convince them not to impound his granddaddy’s truck. But the story isn’t as interesting as it started because the cops didn’t leave the pavement.
Best possible police response time if called -- 45 min. I live in about as close to lawlessness as exists in this country. I don’t mind.

So, that is the big news here.

6 comments:

Forever Engaged said...

I love the comment about the EPA knowing so it has to be disposed of properly... Because if they DIDN'T know about it... Lol
You sound like someone else I know...
"Hey, I'm going to build a sunroom. Who needs a building permit?" Hehe
Rules, schmules!

They are not aware said...

Actually, I do not believe I would need a building permit to build a sunroom on this house, pretty sure it is not required.
But the roofing waste--that is a different story. The old way would have been to open a hole and push it in, cover back up. Everyone around here has been wondering why he didn't do that 20 years ago when he started. Bad idea but the way things have been handled for over 100 years around here.
*If* one gets trash service around here, one's garbage goes many miles away and it needs to be paid for. Weekly costs were the same as monthly in the city. They wouldn't take all the old shingles and nails and stuff anyway--considered hazardous waste.
And it occurred to me after talking about cops and response time...there is no 911 here, it is a long distance call to even call the police.
And I know of a family in central IL that the dad didn't want to get a permit to put in the basement so he and his teenage son did it in the evening digging it out little by little, bag o' dirt by bag o' dirt--it took a couple years but I think they did it. The dad was a cop for the little town. True.

Forever Engaged said...

Ha! Good story.
Where I live, I'm pretty sure I'd need a permit to plant tulips! Okay, that's an exaggeration, but for any sort of building, yes. We are considering painting the house, hmmmm, I wonder if we would need a permit for THAT! That's scary having no 911. But probably a good reason to own guns! :)

Forever Engaged said...

Wow, did my reply disappear into the ether????

It had the word "gun" in it... I smell a conspiracy!!!!!

Forever Engaged said...

Okay, it showed up when I posted that one. Now I look paranoid. And over comment-y. I'm done now!

They are not aware said...

I hate when the comments disappear, and it always seem to happen on the longer ones.
As far as not having 911, it is not a big deal. I have lived lots of places without it. Kansas City didn't have it until the 80's. I remember that because I happened to be getting ready to move to CA when they announced its implementation. I had lived there for a year and not realized; I had thought at that point all big cities (but not all smaller towns) had been using it.
I wonder how many other places in the US do not use it yet.