Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Update on Previous Post

Oh gosh, we spent quite some time on the driveway yesterday. We got it to where if there was an emergency we would be able to get out (it would have been rough but doable); chances are there would be no getting back in but …I hurt today. I should not have done as much as I did but though I hurt, I do not think I hurt myself, it is just unused muscles that hurt mostly.
A neighbor dropped by last night and said he would bring his tractor over today. He was later than we expected but he did show up--with a bale of hay to boot! Now we just need to find the two cows and their calves. They will show up, they know where they live.
The S. Dakota folk did retrieve their tin horns before they got washed away.
I hear that quite a bit of the road next to the big creek is torn up too, with some spots barely wide enough for the standard vehicle. I know I have seen county trucks taking loads of rock down the way today.

Years ago we had a problem with the water in the stream flash flooding the front yard. We put up a flood fence in the bad spot about 10 or 11 years ago and it quit doing that. Yesterday afternoon we realized it had overflowed there and we did have a wash through; that was the very first time since we put that fence in. The fence still helped incredibly though, it kept the rocks and logs out of the front yard. We also found out, this morning, that it took out a good part of the fence along the creek. The cows wouldn't go into rushing water and now they are where ever they are  at the neighbors so it is no big deal. The water in the creek was flowing longer than the water in the stream yesterday, which is uncommon. When I got up this morning we had gotten another 3/4 inch of rain, (it hadn't washed out our driveway work thank goodness) and our stream was flowing but not the creek. While helping distribute driveway fill I noticed that the creek was flowing again yet there had been no more rain. That is really odd. But water does what water does.

3 comments:

Todd said...

Thanks for the update!

Forever Engaged said...

I love your blog! It's so interesting! I remember the rain, but my yard is still scorched. I don't think my lilacs are going to make it! I hope your food does!

They are not aware said...

Thanks, not many people read it-- at least that I am aware of anyway. Lilacs are pretty tough, they will probably put out a huge bloom next spring because of the stress this summer.