Monday, August 5, 2013

Lots of Rain Last Night

My gosh did we get rain last night, well it was actually early this morning but still time to be in bed. We had our driveway wash out badly for the first time in years; there is a chasm about 2 1/2 feet deep and 3 feet wide where the stream bed crosses it. The water is still flowing in the big creek that is usually dry. We needed to get hay today and that is not gonna happen. Our neighbors from South Dakota put in a couple of metal culverts (called tin horns exclusively around here) across that creek to "improve" the drive up to their "south 80" a few months ago. I know Ron told them they won't stay there when the water gets up. And I know that at least one other person told them too, before they put them in. I would not be surprised to find out that numerous people told them they won't be there long. Those folks have been her at least 8 years now and one would think they would have started listening to locals about the way things are. Most of us around here were figuring they would last about a year, until next spring when we usually get high water. Surprisingly, however, the tin horns did not wash out last night; they washed out two nights ago when we had about 2 inches of rain. They were on the next property over. Unfortunately, I do not think they had yet retrieved them when we got hit last night. Those tin horns are probably in the next county now.
These are the same folks that called up the electric company, after they went through replacing poles, to come get the "garbage" off his property. The garbage was the old poles which the power company leaves behind for the farmers as a favor because they can be used for all sorts of things, such as corner posts for fences. The electric company guy asked us if we wanted them. Yep, sure do. Two weeks later, the folks from S. Dakota went out and spent a couple hundred dollars on wood corner posts. Pretty much the same thing they threw the hissy fit about getting the "garbage" off their property. I just don't know about some folks.
A little over a month ago our internet speed was increased. We are finally able to "stream" videos. I didn't really know why it sped up and so I didn't say anything to anybody because I thought it would go away again as it showed up. But it is still here so I feel like we have finally caught up to the end of the 20th century. We do seem to be having more trouble with our phone lines since then. Actually I am surprised we have phone or internet today. We are lucky we have power. It went out in the storm a couple nights ago. I wound up spending a few hours staying up with Tink and a flashlight. Back to the internet speed…Since we can stream videos now I have been watching a lot of documentaries on YouTube. I mean a lot of them. I didn't realize how much I missed them. PBS almost never shows documentaries anymore because there are cable stations devoted to them. There are still so many more I want to watch but I think I am going a bit loopy and need to watch something else for a break. Right before I realized there were real documentaries on YouTube I had watched some old Match Game episodes from the 70's. That was a great game show; I love it. Maybe I'll watch a few more of those.  

Ron went up the hill to open the gate between our property and a neighbors so the cattle can have some graze since we have no hay--with permission of the neighbor, it was said neighbors idea. That is nice. When he comes back down we need to start work on the driveway.

1 comment:

Todd said...

That's pretty funny about your neighbors and their poles. I guess some people have more money then sense. Ugh.

Hopefully all that rain gives your area some much needed water relief.

Have fun working on your driveway! :)