Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened


We had to go to town yesterday (Friday). It happens and that isn't what's funny. The local cigarette/tire store is right there on or route in and we stopped to get cigs. It has been a long time since I have been in there and I no longer know the people that work there, hence, they do not know me either. I walked up to the counter and asked the woman there for the cigarettes I wanted she got them and told me how much they were. I pulled out my debit card and then she asked for my ID. I didn't think much of it figuring she was asking because of the debit card--BUT NO. She looked at it and said, "Eighty-five, I knew it was close." I just stood there and blinked for a moment as it was sinking in that she was carding me because she wasn't sure I was 25 and they are required to card anyone that does not appear to be at least 25. I told her, "Bless your heart, you're wrong, look again." She glanced again at my ID then looked at me and didn't understand. I told her that she needed to look closer, it says '65 not '85. She did and then looked back at me and told me that I really look young. It is not like she mistook my shortness for youth either because she was barely and inch taller than me. I don't look bad for my age, especially considering the abuse I have put my body through and the cancer treatments, but 20 years? I didn't think I looked that good.
Good news, I am typing this out while not online and I am not sure when I will actually get to post it because we have a storm going on, lightning *and* rain--the whole shebang. I'll take every drop I can get. There is still a chance to get a cutting of hay for the farmers if we get rain and that will make all the difference in the world to them, especially the smaller operations. Actually, even a bit of green grass that the cattle can eat instead of the hay that was supposed to get them (the cattle) through winter could mean the difference between surviving until next year or not. Maybe Sweetheart sent the rain.
Oh, and on the chance anyone that might be reading this does not understand why the storm means I am not online… It is because lightning often strikes the phone lines around here and I have lost three modems, two telephones, and almost lost a computer that was hooked up to the modem; though it never was quite right after that; it needed a new power supply and motherboard. So if there is a storm the modem gets unplugged from the lines, they seem more susceptible to the power surges, and when the storms are real heavy on top of us the phone gets unplugged too. Our phone isn't plugged in right now. I am unconnected and I don't mind.
Update: I am able to post at a little after 1 AM, about 3 hours after the rest and we have *almost* 3/4 inch rain--still hoping for more.

2 comments:

Todd said...

Aw, Tana, the young whipper-snapper. That's awesome that you got carded.

I am glad you and/or your computer, modem, or phone lines didn't get zapped. Woot!

They are not aware said...

Yeah, they didn't get zapped *because* the phone line gets unplugged. And we wound up with a little more rain, an inch total. That seems like so much right now when most of the time I wouldn't think much of it. Quite a drought we got going here in the US.
Isn't that a hoot about getting carded? She honestly thought I was 20 years younger than I am. My dad got carded for booze into his 30s--I must have inherited some good genes.